Thursday, February 1, 2007

MDF


For those that do not know, the UAII takes 3 pieces of 4 x 8 MDF (I also chose ¾ of an inch MDF).

Also for those that don’t know, MDF weighs a TON and since I was building two full UAIIs, that would mean I need to pick up 6 pieces of it.

So I set off for the Home Depot for the MDF. I find it and realize the weight problems with this material. I struggle to get the MDF onto the cart and leaning into the cart I push it to the checkout line. Fortunately I was able to get a Home Depot person to help me load the car (he got a tip for his effort!).

What I did not know is that 4 x 8 MDF is not 48 inches by 96 inches. It is 49 inches wide. Why do I mention this???? Because the Ford Freestar I brought to haul the MDF has a 48 inch opening.

So we struggle a bit getting it in by tipping up one end slightly. The Ford Freestar did not know what hit it. Once completely loaded, the back was riding real low.

Well I get it home and now I need to unload the MDF myself. It is a bit of struggle but I manage to get all of it into my garage.

On a side note, I started this in July so there was plenty of heat and humidity. I mention this for reference in the future blogs on MDF sawdust.

The pain has begun…

No comments: